Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fall Flea sale (Status:cool furniture, cold temps, wet weather)

Fall Flea was held in the Short North Arts District on Sunday, October 7th.  I had a booth, that's why I was doing all of that refinishing (duh).  It rained, it was cold, sales were low and I had the flu.

It rained the night before, the temperature fell and I came down with the flu; despite that I was setting up at 8:00 A.M.  I may have packed too much for my 10 X 10 space stuff into the U-Haul van and  my car.

I had a tent but still had to push my stock out into the walkway and out the back onto the sidewalk.  You can see the Danish style chair, the two step ends, round cocktail table, Danish surf board style table that I refinished, as well as that Drexel Declaration coffee table.  The round cocktail table sold quickly, then sales were slooooooooow.
 I have two wire racks full of "smalls".  This one has a couple of metal lunch pails, the chrome and smoked plexi hanging light fixtures, an eight place setting Russel Wright American Modern set in coral (eight-dinner plates, luncheon plates, bread plates, lug handled bowls, saucers, coffee cups plus-cream, sugar and an oblong platter), a penguin ice bucket, an abstract modern needlepoint, a worn primary color Pyrex bowl set, a sunbeam mixer with all of the accessories (big bowl, little bowl and juicer with spout and screen) and a yellow plastic kitchen set. 
On this rack there is a vintage pen and ink military helicopter drawing, vintage cow portrait, flip clocks out the wahoo, Pink and black Stetson tea/coffee pot, two place settings of Harkerware and a chip and dip set.

Then it started to rain and I had to push everything under the tent.
You can see that I sold the step ends but that I have a ton of other stuff and no space to move.
Ooooh, look!  Chairs and table from the peabody collection , and orange upholstered chair made for Montgomery Ward, repro Nelson starburst clock, some lamps and a very vintage (dirty and rusty) but complete croquet set.  Sales were very slow, like, a quarter of the sales from the Summer Flea.  The other vendors said that the Spring Flea had amazing sales, so I guess I'll need six months to get healthy and ready!
One last item, I also had this little Arts & Crafts partners desk; it sold quickly.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bopfish.

    I feel for ya buddy. I wasn't ill at my recent Green Shag Market parking lot sale but I had only managed to snag a 45 minute nap before heading out to set up. I wasn't my usual gregarious self and my sales were a reflection (if not related). At least I didn't have inclement weather to deal with. You too had some great stock and it's a damn shame more of it didn't manage to find a new home. Perhaps we'll both know better next fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That Russel Wright set is making me weep. Love it! And I totally have that "surfboard style" coffee table! Found it at a thrift store for $25!

    Great stuff you've got there! (I'm just an occasional lurker. ;)

    ReplyDelete