Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Blending the old with... Okay, they are all old blenders (Status: smoothies anyone?)

I don't really know how I ended up with a collection of blenders, it's certainly not that I set out to collect them.  I really dig the control panels (ohhhhh, look at all the buttons) and there is all of the chrome (mmmmm, shiny), plus they are pretty cheap- I didn't pay more than $10 for any of these.

My collection is currently all Oster  blenders and a single Waring blender; again, there is no reason, just what the thrift gods supplied to me (this is kinda like a cargo cult).  From left:

The Oster Galaxie, model 671, (left) and Imperial, model 672, (right) Cyclomatic blenders.  These are HEAVY blenders with all chrome steel housing.
So, you may ask, what's the difference between the two?  Other than the slightly fancier graphics on the Galaxie, the only difference I could find was that they each have a different wattage-The Galaxie uses 900 watts and the Imperial uses 625 watts.

Even the vessels are exactly the same (I'm assuming each was available with black or white handles and lids for the vessel).  I really like the chrome steel band that holds the handle to the vessel; I bet you could get a new handle if yours broke.
The odd blender of the collection, the Waring Blender/ Ice crusher.  The body is chrome steel or tin but is much thinner than on the Osters.
14 buttons and a speed dial that goes to 60 (for when you absolutely have to obliterate that mixture).  Feel like this should change the channel on the TV or the radio in the car.
 Check out the wacky clover shaped vessel.  I assume it was so that you could always tell who was using a Waring and so that if you broke your vessel you could only buy a Waring vessel.
 I only have this avocado green Oster Imperial Pulsematic 10 (model 857) because it was one whole dollar.  I prefer the sturdy chrome steel housing on the other Osters to the plastic housing on this model but for the price, who could pass it up?


Same buttons as the other Osters but instead of a speed control dial you get the ability to stop and start the blend in quick bursts (like revving a car engine). Still, avocado, brown and orange- just not classy.
 Here is a real classic, the single speed Oster model 10 or "Bee Hive".  My parents have the improved version, with the speed control, that came out a few years later (in gold) but this is THE original Oster blender- sorta the "model T" of blenders.
One simple toggle switch, super sturdy chromed steel housing and that is one thick glass vessel (note- there is no handle).  All of this unit has survived since about 1953 and she's still blending out the hits!
Aesthetically I probably like this Dual Range Pulsematic 16, model 854, blender best of all; The blue, black, white and the one orange button go so well with the chrome steel of the housing and the glass of the vessel.
 It's got that great starburst,  look at how the top three buttons have a graduated blue color sceme; the orange on/off button gives a great pop of color.
I just TOTALLY geeked out about a.... blender!!??!!??

20 comments:

  1. I took this Oster Galaxie model 671 from my Grandparents house a few years back, still works like a gem! Do you know what year it was made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @CT13- I wish I could tell you. I tried to look around for dates when these blenders were made but mostly came up empty. I'd guess that most of these were made in the mid to late 1960's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own a Imperial 672 black/chrome (black handle). I just realized the glass bec has a little crack, bummer. It was impeccable but it probably happened in dishwasher. Any idea where I could find the glass only? I'm ready to buy another 672 if I can't find just the glass but it seems like all the 671/672 I find online all have had the glass replaced already :( Thought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Adele- I see glass vessels at the thrift store all of the time. I would keep a picture on my phone and just keep comparing it to vessels at the thrifts.

      Delete
    2. @adele, this listing says it fits most models, I wonder if it fits the old ones.http://www.oster.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=2919

      Delete
  4. this is kool,,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stumbled across this site because I too have the Avocado Green Mod 854 and it gets used every day at least 4 times daily. She runs strong but the blade is becoming loose and liquid finds it way through to the base. I wish they still made them this way. Maybe I will get lucky and find one for a dollar like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter is looking for a blender so I was looking to see what is out there. That is how I happened to see your blog. Personally, I have the Oster Galaxie, model 671 pictured above. My husband bought it for me when we had our first son back in 1969. I have always loved it and still do. It looks like new and works well. I honor it a little, due to its age!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one similar to your last one (and on the far right in the group pic). I bought mine used without the jar and lid, but with the blade assembly, so I could use it with a regular mouth any size canning jar. Fit's perfectly! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one similar to your last one (and on the far right in the group pic). I bought mine used without the jar and lid, but with the blade assembly, so I could use it with a regular mouth any size canning jar. Fit's perfectly! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a collection of Brazilian blenders ( 1950 to 1980 ) twenty blenders ! All works ! Brands Walita , Arno, Citylux , Elco , Kenmore, Epel and Faet. I have one Sunbeam made in Brazil - 1975 .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a Osterizer Imperial Pulse Matic Model 652 that is 825 watts with chrome sides. I got it a few years ago and the glass container is a 4 cup with the metal band and plastic handle. I was wondering if the container I have is original?? I was looking to replace it with a vintage one 5 cup from eBay with an all glass handle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still have my late mother's custard yellow Osterizer Galaxie from the early 1970's. Made in Wisconsin, it ran like a champ for 35+ years. Watttage isn't shown anywhere, but my guess is around 450. It produced satin-smooth purees and wonderful thick malts.

    The motor is still going strong and the blades are razor-sharp. However, the screw that holds them in place has rusted, the 5-cup plastic jar leaks and the bottom cap is frozen stuck. Not worth repairing, it will be kept for nostalgia's sake.

    The ancient Galaxie was replaced by Oster's excellent new Pro 1200 blender, a very loud powerhouse with a heavy 6-cup glass jar and a 24-oz. Tritan blend-and-go cup. When funds permit, what I really want is a Blendtec 725.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still have my late mother's custard yellow Osterizer Galaxie from the early 1970's. Made in Wisconsin, it ran like a champ for 35+ years. Watttage isn't shown anywhere, but my guess is around 450. It produced satin-smooth purees and wonderful thick malts.

    The motor is still going strong and the blades are razor-sharp. However, the screw that holds them in place has rusted, the 5-cup plastic jar leaks and the bottom cap is frozen stuck. Not worth repairing, it will be kept for nostalgia's sake.

    The ancient Galaxie was replaced by Oster's excellent new Pro 1200 blender, a very loud powerhouse with a heavy 6-cup glass jar and a 24-oz. Tritan blend-and-go cup. When funds permit, what I really want is a Blendtec 725.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cloverleaf shaped vessels or carafes used on Waring and Oster blenders were shaped that way to improve blending. Small vortex's were created by this shape as well as the main circular swirl created by the blade which was an industry milestone back in the day. FYI

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have better info. than I could find anywhere else. Thank you! I grew up with an avacado imperial and was lucky enough to be given my grandmas Model A. I found a small appliance repair store and had it 'tuned up and greased' for $35 for another 40 years, definately a deal. I just wish we had some years of production. Plus, I think the Waring is the really old one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. do anyone knows what 4 cups vessels fit the Dual Range Pulsematic 16, model 854? i just broke the vessel and i'm literally shuttered.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the beehive you show plus the glass vessel with the handle. I have been using it almost daily for the last few months and sadly the gears are grinding.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anyone know when the Osterizer Galaxie Ten Model 641 Series A was made?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing collection and have not seen a few models that you have. But guess living in US and a US product must have not been very tough to find them. I live in India and was introduced to the brand when somebody brought one from Singapore. I got hooked on and have about ten and three of the models you have and a few very different ones.

    ReplyDelete