I have picked-up a few project pieces over the months that were scratched, scuffed or battered with the intent to refinish them and sell them at the Fall Flea on October 7 (yes, I'm a tad behind in my posting). I'm kicking this series of posts with the Danish style chair that I found on my Indiana/National Road thrifting trip.
The finish is a MESS! Here are a few more detailed shots of the original finish.
Under the semi watchful eye of my supervisor, Bubba...
I went over the whole chair with Zinsser Strip Fast Furniture Refinisher and .0000 steel wool, which dissolved the old finish; then I sanded the whole thing using my trusty Black and Decker Mouse detail sander.
The chair looks really good "naked" but I'm going to put a finish on it anyway. I used two coats of Varathane "Early American" gel stain. This was the first time I had used this brand and type of stain and I have to say that I liked using this stain because the gel did not leave any drips.
I taped off the Fagas straps.
I followed up the stain with a couple of coats of Verathane semi gloss polyurethane. Sorry, these pics look a little dark, which made the stain look un-even, because a storm was approaching.
Next post will be a round cocktail table that came out very nice!