Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Time for a little art

Maybe Carlo of Hollywood is not everyone's idea of Art (with a capital "A") but I found this painting at a Goodwill and kinda dig it

Carlo of Hollywood was an artist who produced art work from about 1955 through to the early 1980's.  According to the info I read on http://carloofhollywood.net/blog/ 
There is not much information on the mysterious "Carlo of Hollywood" but what is known is that Carlo probably sketched out or designed the artworks but had a bunch of other artists who executed the works which he signed or were signed with his name, much like Jeff Koons or Andy Warhol.  I have a theory that "Carlo" did not exist but was a fabrication, like "C. Jare", created to legitimize factory produced art.
I like the cityscapes he executed but I will admit that brown is not really a favorite colour.  I would guess that my Carlo was created in 1966, from the pencil date on the stretcher bar.
Sadly, my painting did not come with one of the cool forced perspective frames that are a hallmark of his exotica paintings.  Below are some examples of the forced perspective frames.  
There is a Facebook group for people who have Carlo of Hollywood art, as well (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114698658552668&v=wall)
pastedGraphic.pdf


(from Metromodern.com)
pastedGraphic.pdf




13 comments:

  1. Nice! Looks like it's about 30" by 40", a nice size for above the sofa or fireplace mantle. I totally dig this type of "Art"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it too. I never find anything that cool. I did find a paint by number Jesus the other day but left it cause we all know I'd burst into flames if I touched it.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's never too late to get right by PBN Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi i was wondering if someone could help my mom identify her Carlo artwork... Please email me at stewartpans@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just inherited several Carlo pieces (about 7-10) and I would like to know their worth. Can someone help me? aymoten@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently found that a picture we had in storage is a Carlo. The Image is of a Tiger laid out and looking at the viewer. His signature is on the lower left under the tiger's front paws. I believe the frame is original, as is the work. The picture in frame is nearly 6' long and 2' 5" tall and looks great over out couch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize, but the name is under the tail in the right bottom corner, and looking at it, the name doesn't look like any shown above, however, the art style is the same.

      Delete
    2. I apologize, but the name is under the tail in the right bottom corner, and looking at it, the name doesn't look like any shown above, however, the art style is the same.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I apologize, the signature is on the right and looks poorly done, perhaps this is a knock off.
    http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv320/Grezo1/IMG_20150914_191707_zpsi8ihpo8b.jpg?t=1442255578

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently found that a picture we had in storage is a Carlo. The Image is of a Tiger laid out and looking at the viewer. His signature is on the lower left under the tiger's front paws. I believe the frame is original, as is the work. The picture in frame is nearly 6' long and 2' 5" tall and looks great over out couch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a painting by the same artist. I'm trying to find more info.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is the name of this cityscape painting? Thanks

    ReplyDelete